Just days before PMA 2008 and Nikon have announced a few new products that they’ll have on show including the new D60 digital SLR which takes the D40x one step further, an updated range of Coolpix compacts and a few lenses as listed below.
The 24mm f/3.5 PC lens is really appealing when paired with the new D3, hats off to industry’s number two for closing in on the current Canon king.
I have included a part of the Nikon D60’s press release below but if you want to read the whole thing click on the image above or follow the links for the info on the other new release below.
AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the D60, one of the smallest Nikon digital SLRs ever. The D60 makes it fun and easy to take breathtaking pictures while also offering plenty of features for those who want to deepen their interest in creative shooting.With a split-second shutter response, the D60 captures pictures that cameras with longer time lags miss. Ease of use and creative options both come standard with the D60, whose exclusive Nikon technologies help deliver high-quality pictures with vibrant color and stunning, edge-to-edge detail. Such superior results are achieved through a high-resolution image sensor utilizing 10.2 megapixels, world-famous NIKKOR lenses delivering razor-sharp pictures, and many cutting-edge Nikon features to further enhance your picture-taking experience. Nikon’s advanced 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures consistently balanced exposures for images with natural color and contrast, while Nikon’s new digital image processing concept, EXPEED, makes it possible to deliver smoother tones and more accurate colors. Nikon’s fast, quiet and precise autofocus system adds significantly to the performance of the D60, capturing exact moments with astounding clarity.Such clarity is reinforced by Nikon’s dust reduction countermeasures. To avoid picture-degrading dust particles accumulating near the imaging sensor, the D60 comes equipped with the innovative Image Sensor Cleaning function and Nikon’s exclusive Airflow Control System. These functions both reduce dust accumulation to give you even better picture quality.
In addition to new dust reduction features, the D60 offers a variety of ways to experience more fun and creativity when taking pictures. Users can easily capture dynamic images in different shooting situations with a simple turn of the mode dial. The Retouch Menu offers even more creative excitement, letting you change your pictures into even more striking images – all fast, all simple and all without the need for a computer. Compact and comfortable, the D60 has so much to offer: amazing picture quality, simple operation, an Integrated Dust Reduction System for clearer pictures and an extensive selection of creative features. The result: fun, fantastic and inspired pictures. The world of stunning photography is just a step away, with the Nikon D60.Nikon D60 Feature Highlights
Superior image quality and resolution
The D60’s image sensor utilizes 10.2 megapixels to produce superb, high-quality images with incredible resolution, allowing you to make large prints, even if you only use part of an image. And thanks to EXPEED, Nikon’s unique digital image processing concept, your pictures will contain fine detail and smooth, natural tonal reproduction.
Integrated Dust Reduction System
The Airflow Control System used in the D60 leads air within the mirror box towards small ducts near the base, directing dust away from the image sensor. The Image Sensor Cleaning function also reduces dust accumulation near the sensor using specifically determined vibrations, which activate automatically or whenever the user chooses. This team of dust reduction countermeasures lets the user switch lenses confidently, taking advantage of the extensive lineup of NIKKOR interchangeable optics while worrying less about the effects of dust in the camera.
Active D-Lighting for smoother gradation
The D60’s new Active D-Lighting feature can adjust the look of the final image while you shoot. This automatic process works in the highlight and shadow areas, compensating for difficult lighting conditions and producing optimized exposures with rich, smooth detail.
Intuitive, simple operation within a compact body
The D60 is not just compact; its shape is ergonomically designed to fit in your hand naturally and comfortably. The body design is inherited from the highly regarded Nikon D40 series. The bright and clear viewfinder ensures precise composition, while the large, 2.5-in. LCD monitor displays an easy-to-use menu system with a wide viewing angle so that anyone can navigate the settings and view images with ease. The new Eye Sensor function turns off the LCD monitor when the viewfinder is used. When the user moves away from the viewfinder, the LCD monitor turns on again automatically.
The D60’s Retouch Menu offers many exclusive in-camera editing features to choose from. Use the Filter Effects option to intensify a color (Red/Green/Blue) of your choice, or try the Cross Screen feature to produce star-like lines radiating from brightly lit objects in the image. In-camera NEF (RAW) processing is also available. RAW format images are “developed” within the camera after shooting, allowing you to control specific aspects of your pictures, such as image quality, image size and white balance. With the new Stop-motion feature, a stop-motion animation (the consecutive playback of still images) can be created from a sequence of images (in JPEG format). Also included is a convenient Quick Retouch option, which enhances contrast and saturation, to improve images without using a computer. The D60’s extensive Retouch Menu increases the fun and creative freedom of using a digital SLR.
Nikon D60 Other Features
* Fast, 0.19-second power-up to respond to every photographic opportunity
* Split-second shutter response eliminates the annoyance of shooting lag
* Fast continuous shooting mode enables up to 100 JPEG images (FINE L-size or smaller) at 3 frames* per second *Fastest frame rates achieved by choosing manual focus, rotating the mode dial to S or M and selecting a shutter speed of 1/250 s. or faster, using defaults for all other settings
* Advanced three-point AF system offers fast, efficient and precise autofocus
* Nikon 3D Color Matrix Metering II for ideal exposures in almost any lighting situation
* Bright and clear viewfinder with 0.8x magnification for precise composition
* Long-life rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows up to 500 images* with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR on a single charge (*CIPA standards)
* Digital Vari-Programs that adjust camera settings automatically for scene-specific pictures – selections include Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up, and Night Portrait
* Manual control over shutter speed and aperture: P (Programmed Auto), S (Shutter-priority Auto), A (Aperture-priority Auto) and M (Manual)
* Built-in flash with Nikon’s dependable i-TTL flash control, supporting Auto flash, Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Rear curtain sync and Flash exposure compensation
* Simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG basic data of the same image
* Camera setting menus can be customized to suit individual preferences
* Imprint date function prints the date of capture directly on the picture
* Electronic rangefinder display indicates the deviation from the in-focus point when using manual focus mode
* Fully compatible with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses, that are equipped with an autofocus motor (Autofocus supported. Also compatible with most F-mount NIKKOR lenses when using manual focus mode)
* Supports the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using the SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-R200 or the Wireless Close-Up Speedlight system R1C1. Offers accurate exposures via i-TTL flash
* Optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for easy remote shutter release
* Included Nikon ViewNX software lets you share, organize and edit pictures with ease